Three top Kenyan television stations shut down by the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) will continue to bear the brunt until police conclude investigations into the swearing-in of National Super Alliance (Nasa) leader Raila Odinga.
Speaking during a press briefing on the state of security in the country in Nairobi on Wednesday, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i said the three media houses will remain closed until the probe is completed.
"As a result of what happened yesterday[swearing-in], we have commenced investigations targeting individuals," he said.
"Media houses will remain closed until we complete investigations."
On Tuesday, CA disconnected broadcasting signals of three television stations namely, NTV, KTN and Citizen for contravening the government order against live coverage of the opposition swearing in.
The CS further said that the government has information that some media houses had been involved in a scheme where Nasa had planned to massacre supporters and then blame it on police. "We were aware of some elements in the media who participated in the furtherance of this illegal act," he said.
"Their complicity would have led to thousands of deaths of innocent Kenyans due to the buildup of the incitement that was witnessed in early hours," said Matiangi.
He explained that media owners were given a full security brief ahead of the opposition "illegal activities", but chose to ignore it. "Unfortunately, some media houses chose to disregard this advice, their own code of ethics, self regulation and the moral responsibility of every Kenyan to safeguard the security of there fellow citizens."