Following the confirmation of 8 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, Kenya has suspended all international passenger flights effective Wednesday, March 25th.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the move is part of the measures to prevent further spread of the illness. The ban does not affect cargo flights.
CS Kagwe stated that Kenyan and foreign nationals traveling to Kenya between Sunday and Wednesday will be placed under mandatory isolation at a government-designated facility at their own cost.
“Countries wishing to evacuate their nationals must make their arrangements to do so within this period. Kenyans who are currently in foreign countries, and will not have come back within the said period, are advised to observe the guidelines issued in the respective countries wherever they are,” noted Kagwe.
In addition, he ordered the indefinite closure of all bars nationwide effective Sunday midnight while restaurants have been directed to only offer take away services.
“This is meant to secure the social distance requirement, noting the increased risk of transmission these facilities cause,” said Kagwe
All public gatherings including in churches and mosques have been banned while funerals have been restricted to a maximum of 15 close family members.
“As I cautioned last week, this disease is not a joke, Kenyans must treat this matter with the seriousness it deserves by adjusting and changing their lifestyles,” said Kagwe.
The new cases of Covid-19 bring the total number of confirmed infections to 15. The eight new patients include five Kenyans, two French nationals and a Mexican citizen.