Two people have been confirmed dead after a four-story building collapsed on Wednesday morning at Membe area in Kisii town.
More than 30 others are feared to be trapped inside the building as rescue operations continue.
While confirming the incident, Kisii Central OCPD Francis Nguli said a second person had succumbed about three hours after another victim was pronounced dead.
The structure was still under construction and witnesses said that it collapsed at around 8.30 am.
Kisii County Disaster Management team said that about 26 people had been rushed to hospital after rescue team rescued them alive from the rubble.
Kisii county governor James Ongwae was among leaders from the region who arrived at the site to inspect the situation.
Various emergency teams are currently on the ground attempting to rescue those trapped inside.