Kenyan gossip blogger and YouTuber Edgar Obare was over the weekend hospitalized after eating at a popular Nairobi restaurant.
Obare through Instagram on Monday said he experienced difficulty in breathing and sore throat shortly after taking some seafood at the café.
“I finish my meal and suddenly I feel like I have a scratchy throat, then I am tearing up. Now I am struggling to breathe as my nose is blocked and throat is closing up, I have hives all over my neck and it’s itchy. I stand up to go downstairs to the counter to get some water, like I said service was horrible, no waiters in sight.”
“The bar guy asked if I am okay, I said no and I asked for a bottle of water then went outside on the balcony for some fresh air for like 2 min. It didn’t help, I go to the bathroom and see my face in the mirror is all swollen and my eyes are bloodshot red,” Obare wrote.
After getting no help from the restaurant’s employees, Obare rushed to the nearest chemist where he was given antihistamine drug to ease the allergic reaction before proceeding to Nairobi Hospital branch where doctors established he had an anaphylactic shock, an allergic reaction that can lead to death if not treated immediately.
He was treated and discharged before returning to the restaurant to establish what happened.
“They apologized and said they also don’t know what happened, he saw me running out, they checked with the chef to see how the meal was prepared and asked if I had any food allergies, which I don’t to the best of my knowledge. I have seafood all the time,” said Obare.
“I asked how can this be resolved and how do I make an official complaint, he said this was beyond him at this point, he gave me the customer care email and took my number claiming someone else from the head office who wasn’t there will call me.”
“I could have died in 15 min if I didn’t get myself medical attention, is the staff not trained on such situations? I was shocked they all just stared at me like a circus animal. No one ran after me or even tried to help me. Being a high-end restaurant I expected better,” he added.