MWAKILISHI
DIASPORA NEWS

No Kenyan Was Evicted from their House in China, Ambassador Sarah Serem Says

John Wanjohi Apr 23, 2020

Kenya’s Ambassador to China Sarah Serem has refuted reports that Kenyans were among people of African descent who slept on the streets after they were recently kicked out of their apartments in China over accusations of spreading Covid-19.

Serem, in a statement on Thursday, admitted that some landlords had threatened to evict some Kenyans but the embassy intervened and they were retained or moved to hotels.

“None that we know of slept in the streets and none that we know of was evacuated from their houses,” noted Serem.

She added: “The Embassy intervened in some cases where landlords had threatened Kenyans. These were all either retained in their house or taken to designated hotels funded by local authorities.”

Kenyans living, studying and working in China accused the embassy of failing to come to their aid after the wave of racial attacks targeting Africans broke out.

Photos and videos of Africans sleeping on the streets in Guangzhou after being evicted from their houses and hotels emerged last week. It was also reported that Africans were being denied access to services in public places including supermarkets and subways.

Serem further denied claims by a Kenyan identified as Beatrice ‘Brenda’ ‘Queen’ Nduta that the Mission in Beijing refused to help her get accommodation after she was ejected from her house.

Serem said April 6th, the date Beatrice claims she visited the embassy to seek refuge, was a public holiday in China.

“She has lived in China since 2017 on an expired visa. She, therefore, does not have valid China immigration status for her residence and accommodation,” said Serem.

“Although she claims to have spent the night outside the Embassy and was rained on, the truth of the matter is she was accommodated by friends while in Beijing. The Embassy officials came to her rescue, did a quick Harambee of RMB3100 (Sh46,500), and off she left to stay with friends until now. Beatrice is the Secretary of one of the Kenyan welfare groups in China.”

Kenyans who want to be evacuated from China have been asked to register with the embassy but they will have to pay for the flight from their pockets. So far 154 Kenyans have contacted the embassy and are ready to buy their own tickets. 

Share this article
View Full Article