Nairobi’s Wanted Gangster Gunned Down in a Shootout with Police in Mathare
An armed suspect responsible for a series of violent robberies in Nairobi's Eastlands area was on Tuesday night gunned down during a police shootout at Mlango Kubwa area in Mathare.
The suspect only identified as Vinnie walked into a police dragnet but refused to surrender, leading to a fierce shootout between him and the Starehe-based officers, the DCI said.
Detectives had earlier laid a trap for Vinnie, who was headed for his criminal activities, and immediately after he was ordered to surrender, he reached for his firearm and began shooting indiscriminately at the officers as he attempted to escape.
Vinnie, described as "armed and dangerous", has been on police radar for the past few months after he reportedly violently snatched a motorbike from a bodaboda operator.
DCI said Vinnie was part of an upcoming gang responsible for a series of armed robberies within Pangani, Mathare, Eastleigh and Huruma areas.
A Retay Falcon pistol loaded with two rounds of 9mm calibre and five spent cartridges were recovered following the shootout.
His body was taken to City Mortuary pending identification and collection.