
- Add new comment
- 321 views
Burundi has become the first country to withdraw its membership from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The East African country first notified the global judicial institution in September of last year, saying the court unfairly and deliberately targets Africans for prosecution.
The ICC is currently investigating claims that the Burundian government committed crimes against humanity, including executions and torture following protests by the opposition in 2015 after President Pierre Nkurunziza pushed for a third term in office.
ICC spokesman Fadi El-Abdallah on Thursday said the withdrawal by Burundi will not affect ongoing investigations.
“Article 127 states that withdrawal does not affect the jurisdiction of the ICC over the crimes that have been committed while the state was a state party,” said.El-Abdallah
122 countries are members of the ICC, 34 of which are African nations.
Comments
Wow this r real Africans.Please Uhuru once u give raila n his principals please withdraw us then???Otherwise Africans will continue bin taped n used by icc n the west???
As I have said elsewhere before. I have no problems with africans quitting ICC,so long as they have a better judicial system that will punish those who abuse human rights.
I speak for victims of killings by their governments,and other powerful official who go around with impunity.
ICC ukoloni mamboleo, heko Burundi, way to goooo! I am not sure what Kenya is still doing in ICC...country needs to pull out as fast as possible and consider rejoining once the playing field has been leveled for ALL players - bring to book countries like the US/Bush(Iraq invasion & subsequent murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis), the UK/Tony Blair (same crimes, Syrian government of al Assad, Russia (supporting war & chaos in Eastern Ukraine) etc. If they can't bring these thugs to book, the whole of Africa should pull out asap!
Kenya is not withdrawing. The Murderers of 2007 and now NRM cannot go unpunished.