Sifuna Urges Calm After Teargas Hits Linda Mwananchi Rally in Kakamega

Sifuna Urges Calm After Teargas Hits Linda Mwananchi Rally in Kakamega

Police fired teargas at supporters attending a Linda Mwananchi rally at Amalemba Grounds in Kakamega County on Saturday, disrupting the event as Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna urged the crowd to remain calm and avoid confrontation.

Sifuna was addressing supporters when teargas canisters were launched near the podium, causing parts of the crowd to scatter while others resisted dispersal. From the stage, he repeatedly appealed for restraint, instructing attendees not to throw stones and encouraging them to extinguish the canisters safely. He insisted that the meeting would proceed despite the disruption.

The senator was joined by Babu Owino, MP for Embakasi East, and James Orengo, Governor of Siaya County. The rally followed a motorcade through the town marked by music, chants and party flags, and was intended to demonstrate the campaign’s expansion into western Kenya after an earlier event in Kitengela.

Sifuna described the incident as part of a wider pattern of interference with opposition activities. He accused President William Ruto and Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen of attempting to undermine the campaign. He referred to the Kitengela rally, where two people were killed and dozens injured, and said the movement would continue its activities despite the setbacks.

Police officials rejected the organisers’ account. Western Regional Commander Issa Mohamud said no formal notification had been given to security agencies about the Kakamega rally and that he learned of it through social media. He also alleged that armed groups had been brought into the county to provide security, raising concerns about compliance with public order requirements. 

Murkomen said police could not be expected to manage gatherings that had not been officially authorised. Sifuna maintained that proper notice had been issued and said he would present evidence of communication with authorities.

During his address, Sifuna announced that the Linda Mwananchi tour would pause during Ramadan after consultations with Muslim leaders. He said the campaign would resume with a planned rally in Mombasa.

Add new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
CAPTCHA
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.