Police in Finland have launched a probe into the mysterious deaths of a Kenyan woman and her daughter.
Catherine Anyango and her daughter Michelle were found dead inside their van in the main parking lot of the resort town of Tahko on February 9th, Nation reports.
Local media reported that Catherine, 43, and Michelle had gone to work in Nilsi where they had a food stand but did not return home.
The deceased’s relatives reported the two missing to local police on February 8th after trying to reach them via phone without success.
The following day, police found the lifeless bodies of the two inside their car in Tahko. Local police said the matter is under investigation although there might not have been foul play.
The two are suspected to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning after retiring to their van in the below-freezing temperatures. The family said the two had been missing for seven days.
“The deceased, Catherine and Michelle, were last seen alive at 04.00 of Saturday morning doing their daily selling of food in their truck. Apparently, after closing the business, it’s suspected that they decided to take a nap in the truck based on the position they were found in, sleeping side by side,” reads a WhatsApp message in part.
“After the autopsy, it’s been discovered that the cause of death is inhaling carbon monoxide in their sleep, leading to lack of oxygen. So, it’s possible that they used charcoal to cook or something that produces carbon monoxide because the truck had carbon monoxide. The police have allowed for funeral arrangements and collection of the bodies ASAP.”
Catherine and Michelle were running a food cart company and specialized in ‘ethnic’ food such as samosas and moved from town to town, selling unique cuisine.