President Kenyatta has vowed not to bow to pressure to appoint the six judges whose nomination he rejected over integrity issues.
Kenyatta indicated that he received adverse reports on the six nominees from the National Intelligence Service (NIS) and other security agencies, adding that his conscience was clear.
“I too took an oath to both the letter and spirit of the law and it is not open to me to turn a blind eye to reports of our State agencies,” said Kenyatta.
The president was speaking during a meeting with a delegation of leaders from the Ukambani region at State House, Nairobi on Monday.
Kenyatta declined to appoint High Court judges Prof. Joel Ngugi, George Odunga, Aggrey Muchelule, and Weldon Korir to the Court of Appeal.
The other two nominees, High Court registrar Judith Omange and Chief Magistrate Evans Makori, had been recommended for appointment as High Court judges.
On Saturday, ODM leader Raila Odinga urged Kenyatta to make public the allegations against the six nominees.
During the Monday State House meeting, Kenyatta said he furnished former Chief Justice David Maraga with details of the allegations against the rejected nominees.
He said Maraga insisted on the appointment of all the 41 nominees recommended by the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) or none.
But in a recent interview, Maraga claimed there was mischief in the list of rejected nominees.
“The names have changed…those said to have issues; some have been removed and others added, if the list was genuine, why this shift?” Maraga wondered.
Chief Justice Martha Koome has insisted the president must appoint the six nominees.