Ugandan Authorities Arrest 24 Kenyan Fishermen on Lake Victoria

Twenty-four Kenyan fishermen were detained on Thursday evening by Ugandan security personnel on Lake Victoria, reigniting tensions over access and jurisdiction.
The fishermen, from Ringiti Island in Homa Bay County, were reportedly apprehended while fishing and taken to Lolwe Island in Uganda. The arrest and confiscation of six fishing boats have caused concern among local stakeholders, who claim the fishermen were operating in Kenyan waters.
Barnabas Odhiambo, chairman of the Ringiti Island Beach Management Unit, has condemned the detentions as unlawful harassment. He says the Ugandan patrols have increased within Kenyan waters, raising questions about boundary enforcement and Kenya’s lake security.
Mr Odhiambo alleges that Ugandan officers demanded payments of KSh50,000 per boat and KSh10,000 per individual for their release, which he describes as extortion. He urges national and county authorities to intervene.
The incident reverses a period of relative calm following diplomatic efforts between Kenya and Uganda to resolve disputes over fishing rights and border enforcement. Community leaders have appealed to President William Ruto to engage in dialogue with Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni to find a resolution and protect livelihoods.
Acting Homa Bay County Commissioner Charles Mwayaya acknowledged the situation but noted that no formal complaints had been lodged. He said inquiries are underway to establish the facts and determine appropriate action. During Madaraka Day celebrations in Homa Bay, President Ruto pledged to enhance security on the lake to protect Kenyan fishermen.
Add new comment